Skip to main content

Hi I'm Mark Freeman!


Most massage therapist aren't necessarily the most traditional folks you meet in life.  Even if they've started out from some defined archetypal path, at some point they've taken a turn to arrive at being a Massage Therapist.  Ask your therapist how they got their start in massage and I'll bet you'll get a good story!

I grew up in Portland, Oregon in a working class family, playing organized sports, and boy-scouting with my younger brother.  I attended a technical high school where I majored in radio broadcasting, went on to university and eventually landed a job in corporate America.  This all seems run-of-the-mill working class until I sprinkle in some of the details!  Through Scouting, at age 13 I took my first 100 plus mile backpacking trip.  I had two more before age 18, and on these trips in addition to the miles, mountains climbed, long introspective meditations, and life threatening weather survived, I learned a lot about how the body works.  On my first trip I suffered a bit of heat exhaustion and was treated with simple cooling techniques .

Fast forward to my first corporate job out of college and I'm reporting to senior management on a project that is expected to save the company over a Million dollars a year.  Thinking I'm a smart guy, I do a little data analysis and find that the projected savings number is mistakenly inflated by about 15% (15% of a million is $150K!).  How can I possibly be the brand new college hire that walks in and tells them they're wrong by a number multiple times my annual salary!?  I learn very quickly about the importance of deep breathing exercises to calm down and relieve stress.

During a trip for a competitive dragon boat racing, I became my team's warm up leader and post race stretch master.  Understanding the stresses on our bodies during the race helped me to know what muscle groups were performing and needed priming or cooling down.  Another backpacking trip to climb the summit of Mt Kilimanjaro in Tanzania taught me first hand the dangers of HACE or High Altitude Cerebral Edema symptoms.  What finally brought me full circle into massage therapy wasn't exactly my curiosity of the kinesthetics of the bones and muscles, or chemical processes the bring nutrients to the tissues, but it was more energetic.

After a decade of diminishing satisfaction in my career, I wondered why I felt so unhappy every day in the office.  What is it that I was allowing to hold me back from being happy everyday and to enjoy being my best self?  The very personal realization I came to was that I needed a direct connection to an other person in the work that I do.  I realized that I need to know that I can bring all of my focus, studied knowledge, intuition, and energy to supporting and guiding others. Looking to make a shift to using more of the natural skills that make me who I am, I decided to study body work therapies.  After a few shorts weeks at massage school I decided that there will be no shortage of opportunity to be my best self helping others to recover being their best selves as a massage therapist.  I've been licensed since 2015 and have loved every minute of this new path!

When you have a moment ask your therapist how they decided to become a massage therapist, I'm sure you'll hear an unexpected and beautiful story.

Follow me on twitter @markcfreeman on Facebook, or Instagram.  Email me at mark@markcfreeman.com with any questions about bodywork techniques, modalities, or if there are any blog topics you want to know more about!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyday Ergonomics

Have you ever experienced a sudden pain or soreness that you can't explain?  Those deep aches in the neck, shoulder, or lower back that you can't find some accident, slip, fall, or injury to explain the pain? An accident, lift, slip or fall is easy to remember, but those only last a few seconds.  The seemingly mundane everyday moments where nothing seems to happen can actually add up to have lasting effects in our body.  To understand the stress and strain we put on our body, we first need to understand what is called Anatomically Neutral: Generally, good standing posture, or an anatomically neutral position can be summed by a straight line drawn down from the ears, to the shoulders, down through the hips, knees, and through the arch of the foot with all in the same plane of alignment. If only everything we did was possible from this neutral standing position, we would have a better understanding of how to be in proper alignment and avoid injury and fatigue. Dependin

Trigger Point Therapy (TPT, or TrP): Theory I

This is the second post of my Modality/Theory series explaining the differences in massage modalities and their benefits.  If you have any questions about this post or other modalities you would like to know more about, please do not hesitate to contact me:  FreedomBodywork305@gmail.com We need to start with what a Trigger Point is: Also referred to as Myofacial Trigger Points, these are localized contractions within muscles that are highly reactive to palpation and typically refer pain or other sensations in known and predictable patterns.  As an example, I often encounter trigger points in the middle Trapezius.  When I isolate the contraction between fingers and thumb and squeeze, I feel a localized contraction of adjacent muscle fibers and clients indicate pressure at base of the skull or headache like symptoms on the side of the head even toward the temple.      The way I explain this to clients sounds like this: "A trigger point is a band of muscle stuck in contra

Massage Draping Explained

A colleague and I were discussing draping techniques recently, in particular good techniques to keep a client protected and comfortable for stretching.  Unless our therapist is using more clinical techniques or moving us around much, we're usually draped with "Modesty" or "Spa" draping. Regardless of what style of draping is used, it should always be explained by the therapist.  As I outlined in my post about safety of our clients in the treatment room, safety and informed consent are essential. Modesty draping is simple, easy to do and effectively covers our personal areas, but as you can see below, it's not at all effective for keeping a client covered for major joint mobilizations or stretching. The part of the body to be worked is uncovered, simply folding the sheet back on itself away from the area to be worked.  The sheet may also be tucked under the opposite side of the body without any mobilization.  Modesty draping is great when there a